Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome

Since I did a little post a while ago about games featuring ancient Rome, I thought I'd drop a line today about the new arrival on the scene – Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome, from Alawar.



I'm no expert on this matter – well, I'm no expert on anything – but I think the developers from Alawar were counting on people just like me, with a manic interest in ancient history and lots of time to spare, because otherwise, this doesn't strike me as the most inspired release.

When the first Farm Frenzy came out, it was a fun, but unoriginal time management game with a girl in charge of raising animals and selling agricultural produce. Not unlike Farm Tribe, Magic Farm, Orchard, Ranch Rush, Youda Farmer, Virtual Farm, Farm Mania, Fantastic Farm, Farm Craft, Tropical Farm, My Farm oh, did anyone mention Farmville? No, it's not time management, right, moving on – Kelly Green Garden Queen, Fiona Finch and the Finest Flowers, Magic Seeds, Sunshine Acres, Garden Dreams, Plantasia – oh, yes, they're all for real.

But, and that's the best part, our Farm Frenzy was a hit, and thus developed into Farm Frenzy 2, and then, most naturally, came the 3rd, followed by niche themes like
  • Farm Frenzy: Pizza Party
  • Farm Frenzy: American Pie
  • Farm Frenzy: Ice Age
  • Farm Frenzy: Russian Roulette
  • Farm Frenzy: Madagascar
  • Farm Frenzy: Gone Fishing
  • Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome

The gameplay, needless to say, hasn't changed one bit, though the graphics have been adjusted a little to the theme at hand. So, if you're a die-hard fan of raising sheep on your computer, or if you're a weirdo like me, with an interest for ancient Rome that's close to a fetish, go play. This should be enough to keep you occupied until winter's over.